Saturday 16 October 2010

Meall Ghaordaidh

16th October 2010

A short but hard going walk up an isolated Munro, surrounded by stunning Autumn colours.

Meall Ghaordaidh (1039m) Miaowl Gurday - "Hill of the Shoulder"


Leaving the office last night it was dark, but I could see the stars and the moon.  I could see the sky for the first time in over a week.  Scotland has been covered by a temperature inversion, freezing low down, sun bathing weather up the mountains.  Sadly I've been stuck in the office so not had chance to hike up through the clouds and into warmness! The forecast showed that today was due to be a good day, Sameshrie was working in the morning, so seemed like a good opportunity to get out, get some fresh air and exercise.



Meall Ghaordaidh is a Munro standing on it's own not from Killin and Loch Tay, making it a straight forward drive from BoA.  The route started from Glen Lochay, with a well signed gate and an easy going stroll across some fields, full of a fine herd of cattle.  All around the trees were all shades from green through to golden russets.

After passing over a high deer-fence stile and onto open hillside the walk started to kick up sharply.  The names means Hill of the Shoulder, and for good reason, it is a long broad shoulder with a steep climb onto it.  In front of me I couldn't see the summit, just an expanse of hillside that I was trudging up.  Looking behind me though the views east opened up.



Eventually I crested the shoulder and finally got a view of the rocky summit ahead. The path wasn't that clear and became less so as I cross an expanse of peaty areas.  I ended up taking a route slightly to the north of the  path which I discovered on the way down.  This meant that the final leg up to the summit was hard going, picking a route between the rocks.



I reached the summit in just over a couple of hours and had the place to myself.  Cloud was coming in from the north west, but there were still clear and excellent views in very direction.  Stuc o'Chroin and Ben Vorlich made a fine silhouette against the low Autumn sun.  Loch Lyon shimmered in the distance to the north west, the clearest I've seen it.



The route back down was extremely straight forward, helped along by taking the path from the top!  I only saw 5 or 6 other people on the hill, so a pleasure to have the place almost to myself.  I was soon back down to the farm track, surrounded by the cows and leave shedding trees.  Whilst the going up was quite a hard going trudge at times, this was an excellent hike and just what I needed after being stuck in a small office all week.


  

Stat's
Distance: 10.32km
Ascent: 1056m
Time: 3:32

Munro count: 1
Total count: 17 (of 283)

No comments:

Post a Comment